Thursday, March 3, 2011

Toddlers & Tiara's...ughhh

I loved reading a post on Shine (link below)

I mean...I have 2 absolutely beautiful (at least in my eyes) daughters who dream everyday of being that Selena Gomez & Miley Cyrus super star. They turn the radio on, stand in from of the mirror and pretend to be superstars! They beg to take acting or drama classes so they can get to Hollywood. I get it, every little girl wants to be that superstar!

BUT at what lengths so we go to actually make that happen. And what 3 year old knows about any of this without MOM making this decision for them. Maybe ages 10, 11 & 12 I can see a girl asking to try this and then she herself deciding if the work and "to-do's" she does before competing is worth the "maybe" prize.

I am not trying to judge the moms (but maybe can't help it) just putting my opinion as a loving mom to girl out there for the web (or at least my followers on the web) to see.

I have caught this show on occasion for a few minutes here and there after only being able to watch a full episode a few times without actually feeling ill for these little girls. The article (link above) reads by the writer about the moms usually being "large"... I feel by watching this show that these moms are living vicariously through these little fragile once innocent little girls...little toddlers & children!

Ughh...to the spray tans, the fake hair wigs, the amount of makeup applied to these girls. Just the thought of trying to make my 3 or 5 year old look like a grown woman is just absurd! What about teaching these girls about natural beauty? And that winning is not everything but the effort you put in.

I caught one episode where a mother was trying to make her daughter feel guilty about the cost of her pageant dress...really, cause I doubt that that little girl begged you to pay $7k on a dress! Another episode, the mom had to take the little girls binky out of her mouth...ughh again!

What are your thoughts...please share!!!!

PS.... Aren't my girls beautiful just the way they are...without makeup or walking with their hips shaking from side to side?