Saturday, May 14, 2011

And....We still have ducks....

Winn-Dixie @ 3 weeks old.
So...basically, this guy, we will call him Tom, has just wasted my time over the last 2 weeks and they are now not going to live with him on Lake Ronkonkoma.

He contacted me via email 2 week ago with a pic of the lake and "his" other adopted ducks. Perfect, I thought. He will continually feed them, but they also have the lake as a source of food, and they will live with other ducks and have a great big lake to enjoy!

Over the past 2 weeks there were emails trying to find a time when we could arrange the "adoption". I finally asked him for his number so I could call him. I did call and a few messages back and fourth to find that obviously his schedule was just as busy as my mom-with-4-kids-schedule is! Then...this past week, he would leave messages for me saying, I could meet you at costco at 3:30 today to get the ducks. Well, that does not work into my get the kids from school at 3;45 schedule, really, I will just bring them to you any evening after work. I don't mind driving. He reply was, I am just sooo busy and am always all over the place. Then he called and said that he was going away for the weekend; we could meet on Monday at 3 at costco. I hesitantly said yes, wondering why it is that I can not just stand up for myself and say, listen, we really want to see where the ducks will be released too...you  know, make sure they will not be Christmas dinner.

Here is how our "texting" from this morning went:

@ 4 weeks old and over a foot long!
T~Good Morning Melissa, Good news for you, I am not going away this weekend and can swing by your house this morning to pick up the ducks up....
Me~ Thom, I am sorry, but I have commitments this morning, then a following commitment early this evening. Can I bring them to you tonight or tomorrow? MY girls & I have become a bit attached to them and would really like to see them being released into their new home.
T~Oh....well, that will not work for a few reasons; first they will not be released into the pond for a week because they have to be acclimated to the pond and secondly, I do not do adoptions with strings like visitations.
Me~ Oh, we do not want visitations, just wanted to see where they will be released...we will not contact you in the future.
T~I can understand hat, however I prefer not to disclose my location for privacy reasons, the best I can offer you is to pick up the ducks and send you pictures of them . If this is not ok, this will not work out.
M~ Disclose your location? Interesting since I would be having you come to my "location" where I love with my 4 children. Honestly this seems shady. I have others who are interested in the ducks, so I guess you are right, this will not work out...thanks for wasting my time....2 weeks of it.

So, off I go to the feed store for more food and hay...great!